The Semi Final of the Navy Cup between RNAS Culdrose and HMS Albion played on Tue 29 Nov 11 at a very Wet and Windy day at RNAS Culdrose Sports pavilion. A much anticipated game between the best of the Fleet Air Arm and Fleet Flotilla sides, with the referee Lt (Jane) Pitzi having her work cut out for her. HMS Albion won the toss and had the discussion, deciding to play against the wind first half. Culdrose kicked off and for the first 10 minutes of the game was very scabby, unfortunately HMS Albion gave away an early penalty, but Culdrose were unsuccessful with the kick. The game was now up and running in full swing both teams putting in great tackles and phases or play together even though the weather was poor. Once again Albion gave Culdrose another penalty but this time in-front of the post AET Sutton didn't miss making the score 3-0.

25 minutes has been played still the game was 3-0, at this point of the game the weather started to pick up however the wind was still blowing across the pitch. With the ball still slippery Culdrose knocked-on and Albion won a scrum, a good set piece move end with Albion scoring in the far right side of the pitch, subsequently making the kick hard to get. The score now was 5-3 to Albion.

Shortly after the restart Albion were penalised for putting their hands into the ruck, once again Sutton converted the kick making it 6-5 with only 10 minutes to play before half time. With the weather lifting and the sun breaking through the clouds, spirits lifted on both teams. Yet again Albion were penalised and Sutton converted the kick bringing the score to 9-5. After a poor kick restart by Albion, Culdrose took this opportunity hit some hard runners which eventually landed them a scrum close to Albion's line. This lead to Culdrose driving over the line and scoring, Sutton converted 16-5 at half time.

Albion kicked off the second half and a handling error from the restart had Culdrose defending ascrum on the 5 metre line. Some good defence and counter rucking lead to Albion knockingthe ball on and Culdrose winning a scrum. Albion gave it there all in the scrum to lift Culdrose front 3 and Albion were award penalty. Culdrose eager to defend the tap and go from Albion were court off side on 3 occasion and left the referee no option but to award a penalty try to Albion, which Albion's No 10 converted closing the score to 16-12.  

After a spell off ‘cat and mouse' Culdrose found their selves 5 metres from Albion's line with a lineout. A well rehearsed lineout gave the Culdrose forwards a good platform to drive the ball over the line, with the kick unconverted left the score at 21-12. 

With 20 minutes left on the watch Albion upped their game and went over the try line again but missed the kick making the score 21-17. With Culdrose boys under the sticks and some inspirational comments, Culdrose found themselves playing some good rugby, putting together 5 phases of rugby from the half way line, they yet again went over the white wash and Sutton converting the kick. The score 28-17. With 5 minutes remaining Culdrose kept applying the pressure resulting in a interception try for Culdrose  Sutton converting the finishing points, the final score 35-17.

Culdrose Team- LAET Kirk, LPT Platt, POAET Wesley, PO Cowie, NA Qaranivalu, POAC Pallet, PO Donney, LAET Cox, AET Sutton, AB Roberts, AB Wilkinson, AET Hunt,  PO Mullions, AB Saberton(C), AB Lowe, AB Smith, POPT Homer, AET Macintyre, LT Riley, PO Line, AB Nichol, NA Volasaya.

Tries - POAET Wesley, PO Donney (2), and PO Pallet.

Conversion, AET Sutton (3)

Penalty AET Sutton (3)