This was a fair contest between the Navy Cup holders and the Fleet Air Arm brothers. Conditions for this match were particularly atrocious; the rain was coming down by the bucket load and the wind howling across the open field.  On arrival it became very apparent as both teams were eyeing up the standard of players on each side.  However, these conditions did not deter the HMS Heron Rugby team as they were fired up and ready to take the game to HMS Seahawk.  This quarter final had every aspect of making it a great game of rugby. 


The game kicked off and HMS Heron were immediately on the back foot from some good attacking lines from the Seahawk back line, but great line speed and hard hits from the HMS Heron centres stopped any attack before the game line was broken.  With the HMS Seahwak back line failing to make any ground, the HMS Seahawk pack upped the pressure and it wasn't too long before HMS Seahawk slipped through and scored a try followed by a successful conversion.  HMS Heron  came back hard from the re-start looking like a team who had not travelled to Cornwall just to fill the fixture, but to come away with the win. After putting pressure on the catcher from the re-start HMS Heron gained a penalty kick which AET (John) Humphries neatly put in between the posts.  HMS Heron fought strongly especially within the scrum and tackling. A well won line-out by HMS Herons forwards, HMS Seahawk were driven back to there five metre line but somehow came away with the ball and after a long chase down the wing by the HMS Heron wing and full back, it was however HMS Seahawk who increased their lead.  HMS Heron once again pushed HMS Seahawk back on to their own try line and though the HMS  Heron forwards pick and go from ruck to ruck which finally won them a penalty.  Humphries once again stepped up to put the ball in between the two posts narrowing their advantage, HT 14 - 6. 


The second half was much of the same as the first half with HMS Heron pushing hard at the HMS Seahawk try line but again not being able to come back with the points they needed although with more penalties from the boot of Humphries which kept the visitors within touching of the home side.  In the final quarter HMS Seahawk capitalised on a few minor errors from HMS  Heron allowing them to take the advantage even further with two tries in the last five minutes which put the game out of reach from HMS . Heron  Both teams displayed great levels of skill and effort throughout the game.  The final result was HMS Seahawk 31 v 18 HMS Heron.