Naval Air Leave It Late

NAC vs Plymouth Command Match Report 31.10.07 NAC went into this match at RNAS Yeovilton on the back of a good win against Portsmouth which was in contrast to Plymouth’s loss to a very strong Royal Marines outfit in the last round of matches. From the kick off the NAC were quickly into their stride exerting a lot of pressure in the Plymouth 22, from a lineout the ball was moved from one wing to the other in a series of free flowing moves until veteran centre LT Andy Evans found enough space to wriggle over the line near the posts for an excellent team try, LAET Dave Pascoe converted. This score seemed to rally the Plymouth side and they immediately began running the ball themselves and after moving the ball out wide and sucking in the NAC defence the ball was moved quickly to the other wing where flanker LMA Marc Salama was on hand to dive over and score a well worked try, conversion missed. NAC restarted but Plymouth immediately made ground LMA Marc Salama and LT Paul Laidler to the fore but only last ditch tackling held them out, eventually the ball was cleared up field and the NAC went on the attack, after several phases of play the ball came to AET John Over five metres out, he popped the ball back inside to AET Matt Corrigan who thundered over the line to score wide out, LAET Dave Pascoe converted. The Plymouth side again came back with some hard running from No 8 PO Scott Williams, such a run set up a try for the Plymouth prop to sneak over from short range, LT Paul Clarke converted. The NAC side seemed stunned and Plymouth took full advantage, from a scrum in their own half Plymouth outside half LT Paul Clark threw a huge miss pass to No 13 who rounded his man to cruise 50 metres down field, the ball eventually finding it’s way to full back LT Andy Kent who showed a clean pair of heels to score wide out, conversion missed. The rest of the half saw the NAC side under more pressure and were clearly glad to hear the half time whistle. Half time score: NAC 14 – Plymouth 17 The second half started much as the first ended with the Plymouth side on all out attack, the NAC were struggling to win any possession and spent a lot of time fiercely defending their line, only being reprieved with some last ditch tackling, some dropped passes and a few penalties but the line held firm, after 25 minutes the NAC seemed to wake up knowing this years tournament could soon be over, they started to take more control and strung a few phases together where replacement centre AET Dave Burton darted through a hole in the midfield to score under the posts to the relief of the on looking crowd, LAET Dave Pascoe duly converted. The NAC now had their tails up and took the restart well, scrum half LAET Dave Pascoe saw space in behind the open side winger and kicked cross field, the chase was good and the NAC recovered the ball, from the ensuing ruck Pascoe saw the blindside open and darted around the side to score in the corner from 15 metres out, he then converted from the touchline. The final whistle went on a great evenly matched game where the NAC staged a wonderful fight back to beat a tough and determined Plymouth side. Final score: NAC 28 – Plymouth 17 The NAC next play against a French Maritime side at RNAS Yeovilton on Nov 6th 1400 ko and play their last inter command game against the Royal Marines in Plymouth on Nov 14th. Plymouth’s last game is against Portsmouth is also on Nov 14th.