Royal Navy Rugby Union - Company Secretary
Royal Navy Rugby Union Company Secretary - required from April 2021
The Trustees of the Royal Navy Rugby Union (RNRU) invite applications for the post of Company Secretary which falls vacant from 1 April 2021. This unique opportunity has arisen through a restructuring of the organisation.
The Company Secretary is a key member of the Union’s Senior Management Team and will be responsible for a broad range of Finance, Governance and Human Resources matters. The successful applicant will have a proven track record of financial management, experience as a Company Secretary or Executive Assistant, strong communication, organisational and planning skills and is likely to hold a recognised professional qualification, or are studying towards, in accountancy (ACA, ACCA or equivalent) or can demonstrate sufficient expertise through at least 3 years of relevant roles showing you are qualified by experience.
The RNRU offices are based in Portsmouth, Hampshire. However, in promotion of flexible working the Union is happy to discuss remote working so location should not be seen as a bar to applying.
Hours (per week): 37½.
Salary: Competitive + Benefits
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 24 February 2021.
Interviews to be held week commencing Monday 1 March 2021.
Full details of the post are below. Further information can be obtained by contacting the Secretary: email: email@example.com. Mobile: 00 (44) 7966311184
Job description for the post of Company Secretary
- Governance, Administration & HR
- Act as Company Secretary to the RNRU Board of Trustees, Navy Rugby Limited (NRL), the Investment, Finance and Audit Committee, Executive Committee and any additional committees;
- Arrange Board of Trustees meetings and other committees, including notice of meetings, preparation of agenda, distribution of relevant information and production of minutes/records of decisions;
- Communicate Board decisions to those required ensuring actions and tasks are assigned and managed to the agreed timetable;
- Provide advice to all trustees and other committee members on all aspects of regulatory and governance structures and the rules in which they must comply to ensure effective business conduct;
- Responsible for managing and advising Board of Trustees and other committees on all company secretarial matters, ensuring statutory registers and records are accurately maintained;
- Preparation of the Annual Trustees Report to the Charities Commission;
- Ensure appropriate processes are in place to meet the statutory and legal submission of documentation to the Charity Commission and Companies House;
- Arrange the Member Clubs Annual General Meeting;
- Administer the organisations HR processes, including recruiting, induction training, appraisals and disciplinary procedures;
- As the GDPR Data Controller own the organisations Data protection policies and processes;
- Keep up to date with the latest Corporate Governance and regulatory changes;
- Maintain and review arrangements for corporate governance documentation i.e. security, storage, retention and disposal;
- Secure relevant and appropriate insurance cover for employees, committee members, equipment (including clothing items) and premises;
- Oversee the RNRU contracts and provide advice to the Executive Committee and Board of Trustees on performance and renewal;
- Act as Line Manager to the Assistant Secretary.
- Act as the central point of contact for the RNRU and nominated Sports Associations for all financial matters;
- Main POC for Charity Commission and HMRC;
- Support the Treasurer in the preparation of the annual RNRU budget;
- Provide accounting support for the operating accounts of the RNRU, NRL and nominated Sports Associations;
- Develop and provide analytical reports and accounts for these entities;
- Act within agreed authority to authorise financial expenditure and maintain an accurate record of actual and planned expenditure for the RNRU, as well as, nominated Sports Association budget holders;
- Preparation of reporting information, and oversight/presentation of the Management Accounts, following the agreed reporting cycle;
- Prepare quarterly balance sheet reconciliations for the RNRU, NRL and nominated Sports Associations and raise journals for adjustments where necessary, including accruals and prepayments;
- Close the accounting records at the end of each quarter, producing reports and ensuring bank reconciliations are completed;
- Managing cash flow between NRL and the RNRU;
- Process VAT returns;
- Lead the annual audit and statutory accounts process;
- Collate and present information as required by the RNRU Treasurer or Nominated Sports Associations;
- Line Management of the Finance Officer.
Royal Navy Rugby Union - HMS Temeraire, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 2HB. Registered Charity Number: 1165153