Fair Winds following the Mariners in Devonport


RN Mariners


Devonport Services RFC Veterans

Storm Dudley blew fair winds for the Royal Navy Mariners at Keyham Sports Ground as they blew away their Devonport Services opposition 47-10.

Despite the convincing scoreline the match was actually well contested but ultimately the Mariners were able to take their chances and hold firm on their line. It was the third outing for the RNRU Mariners and there was yet more new faces, although slightly depleted numbers due to operational/personal commitments and, sadly, the ever growing injury list.

Whilst storm Dudley did its best to prevent a free-flowing game of rugby, the Mariners looked sharp and implemented the game plan with aplomb.  Some very strong running and a sustained attack saw them open their account with a try and they never really looked back.  Whilst DSRFC put up a resolute defence the waves of dark blue attack continued and at the half time whistle the Mariners were 35-0 up.  By no means a one-sided affair, DSRFC put together some strong phases and tested the Mariners defence which, whilst aggressive, was too enthusiastic at times resulting in 3 yellow cards!

With the wind behind them in the second half, DSRFC started the stronger side.  The Mariners’ defence held firm for a large part of the game, however, the home team’s pressure eventually yielded a try.  With the ball in hand, the Mariners looked good, however, several deviations from the game plan and champagne-rugby poorly executed, saw the error count build much to Coach Vance’s frustration.  A further consolation try for DSRFC closed their scoring account but the relentless Mariners managed two further tries late in the closing stages of the half.  

Final score 47 – 10.

It was another test that was overcome by the squad but more injuries tainted what were some excellent individual performances.  There is still much to do, however, the camaraderie continues to build and each and every player continues to offer an excellent account of themselves.  The intensity steps up in two weeks’ time with a visit to Havant RFC followed by the Prison Service.