Seahawk Sunk by Cornwall Fire Service

04 October 2023

19:15 @ Hayle RFC



Cornwall Fire Service

HMS Seahawk played their first game in two seasons when they took on a strong Cornwall Fire Service side at Hayle RFC.

This friendly/ charity match between Seahawk and the Fire Service was a good chance for Seahawk to get a good run out against a good side which had vast experience from some ex-professional players from sides such as Cornish Pirates to well experienced club players from the English leagues.

It’s been approximately 5 years since the sides last went toe to toe with each other and Seahawk were looking to make amends for their previous defeat. On this occasion, it would be the Fire service coming out on top again, where their experience and time playing together as team shone through. In recent years Seahawk rugby had fallen away, with less fixtures being organised, players moving on and the nature of the day job had left it a shell of its former self.

It was a positive start from Seahawk gaining some early territory in the first exchanges however, it was the Fire Service who would strike the first blow. Some quick thinking from the Fire Fighters and a lapse in concentration from Seahawk lead to the first try with their first entry into the 22 after some great defence from Seahawk.

Not a team to back down, Seahawk came straight back with some attacking shape and finding some space in the wide channels through centre Ben Lenderyou and Winger Matt Hall. Albeit to no avail as some poor decision making and errors left Seahawk unable to sustain any tangible pressure.

Cornwall Fire Service started to get a foothold into the game with some great carries and support lines giving them some momentum eventually leading to another try after some sustained pressure.

As half time approached, a starved Seahawk side started to claw back some territory and possession. The penalty count for the Fire Service started to grow and gave Seahawk a platform to work off. Eventually with 5 minutes left of the first half a handling error from the Fire Service deep in their half gave the Seahawk backs a chance to have a run, which lead to a classy finish in the corner from Matt Hall.

Into the second half the Fire Service took control scoring from a great first phase attack in the corner to give them some breathing space on the scoreboard. Unfortunately for Seahawk the lack of cohesion between the players was obvious as they looked to attack from all areas of the pitch to try and halt the tide. With 20 minutes left to go, Seahawk were able to bring on some experience of their own which led some healthy periods of attack. Leading from the front was Navy prop Kye Beasley making dents into the midfield to give Seahawk some front foot ball to attack with. Eventually after a sustained period of pressure, a clever kick from Seahawk's fly half gave centre Ben Lenderyou a well-deserved try under the posts. The rest of the game was played in the Fire Service's half with Seahawk knocking on the door several times with the emergency service weathering the storm. Ultimately in the end the lack of time together as a group was Seahawks undoing.

HMS SEAHAWK: Ellor, Thurgood, Ashcroft; Dalkins, M Holland; Grady, Clarke, Beasley; Belch, King, Hall, Black, Lenderyou, Williams, Hutton.

Replacements: J Holland, Duffield, Burden, Quick, Wand, Campbell, Nowell, Davis.


Words by Sam Carter

Images by JQ Photography