United Kingdom Armed Forces
UKAF - Job Specification - Communications Officer
1. UK Armed Forces RFC (UKAF RFC) combines the talent of the three single Service rugby unions into a single body to represent the UK’s Armed Forces at international competitions and fixtures plus high-profile exhibition rugby matches. Its aim is to provide match and tournament opportunities that represent the pinnacle of Service rugby, either playing, coaching or officiating. UKAF RFC currently run a senior men’s XV, a women’s XV and an U23 XV.
2. UKAF RFC is a registered charity and funded by a combination of grants from the single Service rugby unions and commercial sponsorship. Its operations are managed by an Executive Committee (ExCo).
3. In line with its new strategic vision and plan, UKAF RFC wishes to appoint a suitably qualified and experienced individual with both a passion for Service rugby and Communications, Marketing and Engagement (CME) experience. The individual will provide leadership of a small team of volunteers and support the UKAF strategy by developing and delivering all UKAF RFC CME activities.
Roles & Responsibilities
4. The Communications Officer will be responsible to the Director of Operations (D Ops) for the strategy and implementation of all internal and external CME activities.
5. Primary duties include:
- a. Development of a CME campaign to build and develop the UKAF RFC brand amongst internal Defence and external audiences in support of ExCo’s strategic vision and plan.
- b. Marketing of fixtures via an awareness campaign including social media channels.
- c. Liaison with the venue of the fixtures to scope and develop any joint CME opportunities to promote UKAF RFC fixtures.
- d. Co-ordinate with sponsors’ marketing and PR departments to achieve the aims and objectives of their partnerships with UKAF RFC.
- e. Broadcast UKAF RFC news and events across all possible media channels, including but not limited to Defence and single Service media outlets and channels.
- f. Development and maintain a strong relationship with BFBS Sport to achieve maximum coverage of fixtures, ensuring that the appropriate level of coverage is obtained for sponsors and partners.
- g. Coordinate CME opportunities with teams during training camps.
- h. Coordinate and publish match reports.
- i. Maintain the UKAF RFC website and the UKAF RFC archive (player record, caps etc.) and image library.
- j. Manage the CME budget.
- k. Ensure the UKAF RFC brand guidelines are utilised and any correctly licenced.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Attributes
6. The successful candidate will possess the following KSE and personal attributes:
- a. Able to navigate and operate within Defence and single Service CME policy direction and guidelines.
- b. Able to negotiate and communicate effectively with both civilian and military stakeholders, sponsors, suppliers and supporters.
- c. Demonstrate experience of developing CME campaigns for either Service or civilian organisations and/or sporting teams.
- d. Understand the functionality of the principal Social Media channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- e. A proven relationship builder at all levels and across all ranks; comfortable working at reach and on own initiative.
- f. Passionate in securing the very best coverage for UKAF RFC; its players, officials and administrators.
- g. The following are desirable:
- 1) Ideally be a serving member of Defence – Regular, Reserve or MOD Civil Service equivalent. Applications from Veterans are equally welcome.
- 2) Working knowledge of Wordpress for website hosting
7. Work at the highest level of UK Armed Forces rugby.
8. Attendance at Inter-Service fixtures as representative of UKAF RFC.
9. Represent UKAF RFC at a wide range of rugby events and sporting occasions.
10. Interested individuals are requested to email a short statement summarising their experience and why they would be suitable for the role to the Secretary UKAF RFC at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midday on Fri 18 Sep 20. Once selected, the successful candidate should aim to be in post ideally no later than End Sep 20.