Royal Navy Rugby Union RFU Council Member
ROYAL NAVY RUGBY UNION (RNRU) – RECRUITMENT OF RFU COUNCIL MEMBER
The post of the Royal Navy Rugby Union representative on the Rugby Football Union (RFU) Council becomes available on 3 May 2020. The successful candidate will be required to serve for a minimum period of 3 years.
The RNRU is a National Constituent Body of the RFU and has a seat on the RFU Council. The incumbent is to represent the interests of the RNRU and all its member clubs to the RFU Council, whilst also fulfilling a fiduciary duty to the wider game. They should serve on committees, sub-committees or task groups of the RFU as appropriate, keeping the Chairman RNRU and RNRU Executive Committee informed of all relevant issues and policy development emanating from the RFU.
Applicants should be able to represent the RN and its rugby community to a wide audience, including the RFU Council, RFU Board and professional paid staff at Twickenham. They must be prepared to work with the Army and RAF representatives (normally OF4). There is a considerable time commitment to this post and the incumbent will be expected to commit a minimum of 25 days per annum, including weekends in addition to any RNRU duties.
The RNRU, as well as being a part of the Royal Navy and a National Constituent Body (NCB) of the Rugby Football Union (RFU), is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. It is, therefore, charged with the management, administration and development of the game of Rugby Union within the RN, in accordance with Service regulations and traditions, as well as in compliance with the requirements of the RFU and regulatory framework for charities.
Our Vision is: To be fun, relevant and successful, inspiring players, coaches, officials, volunteers, and spectators to enjoy rugby at all levels from mess deck to international, wherever the RN goes, reflecting all that is best in the Service.
RFU Council Member
- A voting member of the RNRU Executive Committee.
- A Trustee of the RNRU.
- To act on behalf of the best interests of the RNRU and member clubs on all routine business with the RFU and RFU Council.
- Represent the RNRU at RFU Council Meetings (5 per annum)
- Attend the RFU AGM and SGMs as required.
- Attend all, or as many as possible, of England’s home internationals, hosting invited guests of the RNRU.
- Attend England away matches on rotation.
- Committed to Navy Rugby, and capable of supporting the RNRU through successful performance of the role of RFU Council Member.
- A serving member of the RN (including RM) or the RNR/RMR.
- Personal integrity and resilience, demonstrable independence and other attitudes consistent with the expectations of a high profile role.
- Willing and able to liaise widely across the Naval Service and the RFU (in person as well as by other means) in pursuit of the Rugby Union agenda.
- Closing date for applications is Friday 24 January 2020.
- Applications should be made to Major (Ret’d) Tony King, Deputy Operations Director, RNRU, HMS TEMERAIRE, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2HB (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Applications should include sufficient detail to explain an individual’s suitability for the role (CVs and covering letters are encouraged).
- A full Role Description is available on request.
- Written applications will be considered by a panel chaired by Vice Admiral B Key CBE, RNRU President; candidates may be invited to interview to constitute a second round of the selection process if deemed appropriate by the panel.
- It is intended to appoint a successor to the current incumbent not later than Friday 7 February 2020, assuming the role from Sunday 3 May 2020.