RNRU – Director of Marketing
The Royal Navy Rugby Union is seeking a suitably experienced candidate to fill the post of Director of Marketing in November 2019.
The RNRU, as well as being a part of the Royal Navy, is a Constituent Body (CB) of the Rugby Football Union (RFU) and a registered charity. It is, therefore, charged with the management, administration, and development of the game of Rugby Union within the RN, in accordance with Service regulations and traditions, as well as in compliance with the requirements of the RFU and the regulatory framework for charities. The RNRU is an incorporated Charity, within which is a wholly owned trading subsidiary, Navy Rugby Limited. The latter is a private limited company which generates the income for the rugby activities that RNRU undertakes.
Our Vision is: To be fun, relevant and successful, inspiring players, coaches, officials, volunteers, and spectators to enjoy rugby at all levels from mess deck to international, wherever the RN goes, reflecting all that is best in the Service.
The strategy of the RNRU is founded in the recognition and identification of our many, and varied, stakeholders including (but not limited to): The Naval Service; The Charity Commission; Member Clubs; The Rugby Football Union (RFU); Sponsors. The RNRU’s Executive Committee has been re-structured to better deliver this strategy and to provide a broader effort on behalf of those stakeholders. In particular, this will involve a gradual shift of emphasis away from a focus on representative rugby (whilst seeking to maintain our hard-earned reputation for success), with greater investment in promoting participation and enjoyment of rugby across the Naval Service.
RNRU Director of Marketing
The Director of Marketing has a critical supporting and enabling role in securing income for the RNRU from sponsorship and merchandising. The post holder is also the Managing Director of Navy Rugby Limited and is responsible to the company’s Board for the day-to-day operation of the company and providing the income necessary to run the RNRU. In this role the post holder is also a member of the Investment, Finance, Risk and Audit Committee (a sub-committee of the main Board of Trustees). It is a voluntary role that requires both long-term planning and strategising, as well as detailed execution and delivery.
- A voting member of the RNRU Executive Committee.
- Managing Director of Navy Rugby Limited – maintaining the trading company as a going concern and increasing profitability year-on-year.
- A voting member of the IFAC, a sub-committee of the Trustee Board.
- Contract negotiator and subsequent ‘owner’ of supplier contracts for Marketing and kit and merchandise.
- RNRU ‘Brand Manager’
- Co-ordination of RNRU marketing strategy: review; delivery; performance.
- Review income generating opportunities within Navy Rugby Limited, optimising profitable opportunities wherever possible.
- Provide attractive, appropriate and rewarding sponsorship opportunities for appropriate sponsors.
- Identify and acquire new sponsorship relationships and conduct contract negotiations with existing and potential sponsors.
- Working closely with other members of the Executive Committee in achieving the goals of the RNRU.
- Lead planner for Sponsors’ Dinner, Sponsors’ Supper, Mountbatten Festival of Music and Sponsors’ Golf Day.
- Co-ordination of sponsor attendance at RNRU ‘home’ fixtures and other unspecified events.
- Management of the RNRU Kit Contract and Merchandise Brand.
- Budget holder for the annual Marketing Budget.
- Manage NRL budget in accordance with Navy Rugby Limited Board direction.
- Committed to Navy Rugby, and capable of supporting the RNRU through successful performance of the role of Director of Marketing and MD of Navy Rugby Limited.
- Ideally, but not exclusively, a serving member of the RN (including RM) or the RNR/RMR.
- Able to work collaboratively with all those involved in Navy Rugby.
- Willing and able to liaise widely across the Naval Service, as well as with RNRU stakeholders (in person as well as by other means).
- Demonstrable evidence of ability to operate at a strategic level: to formulate strategy, and to co-ordinate delivery and measurement of performance.
- Experience in marketing and/or sponsorship programmes and development is desirable.
- Closing date for applications is Friday 18 October 2019.
- Applications should be made in writing, via email, to The RNRU Deputy Director of Operations. Email address to be used is email@example.com
- Applications should include sufficient detail to explain an individual’s suitability for the role (CVs and covering letters are encouraged).
- Written applications will be considered by a panel formed from members of the Executive Committee of the RNRU; candidates may be invited to interview to constitute a second round of the selection process on either Monday 21st or Thursday 24th October 2019, if deemed appropriate by the panel.
- It is intended to make an appointment not later than Friday 25 October 2019.