Royal Navy Rugby Union – Director of Rugby Vacancy
The Royal Navy Rugby Union is seeking a suitably experienced candidate to fill the post of Director of Rugby in May 2014. Whilst this is a voluntary and unremunerated role the successful candidate would ideally commit for a period of 3 years.
The RNRU, as well as being a part of the Royal Navy, is a Constituent Body (CB) of the Rugby Football Union (RFU) and a registered charity. It is, therefore, charged with the management, administration and development of the game of Rugby Union within the RN, in accordance with Service regulations and traditions, as well as in compliance with the requirements of the RFU and regulatory framework for charities.
Our Vision is: To be fun, relevant and successful, inspiring players, coaches, officials, volunteers, and spectators to enjoy rugby at all levels from mess deck to international, wherever the RN goes, reflecting all that is best in the Service.
The strategy of the RNRU is founded in the recognition and identification of our many, and varied, stakeholders including (but not limited to): The Naval Service; The Charity Commission; Member Clubs; The Rugby Football Union (RFU); Sponsors. The RNRU’s Executive Committee has been re-structured to better deliver this strategy and to provide a broader effort on behalf of those stakeholders. In particular, this will involve a gradual shift of emphasis away from a focus on representative rugby (whilst seeking to maintain our hard-earned reputation for success), with greater investment in promoting participation and enjoyment of rugby across the Naval Service.
RNRU Director of Rugby
- A voting member of the RNRU Executive Committee.
- Responsible for delivering the vision and strategic direction of the RNRU player’s pathway and representative teams.
- Achieve a creditable winning record in the Inter-Services.
- Engagement and management of the Senior XV squad including coaching staff, team managers, medical, performance analysis and strength and conditioning support.
- Select the Senior XV squad for each representative fixture.
- Work with the Chairman and Head Coaches of Women, U23 and Mariners to ensure a coherent approach to standards and protocols across all Representative Sides.
- Facilitate and encourage development of individuals’ and teams’ core values.
- Accountable for financial control across all representative teams in order to conduct its activities in an efficient manner and in meeting the Union’s financial goals, performance and budgets.
- Deliver and promote RN representation in the Combined Services and other higher representative environs.
- Hold the RFU Level 2 Coaching Award although candidates without Level 2, but who can show exceptional merit for the role will be considered.
- Committed to Navy Rugby, and capable of supporting the RNRU through successful performance of the role of Director of Rugby.
- Knowledge of the sporting landscape within the Royal Navy is an advantage as will an experience of working with or in a sports club, preferably in a rugby environment.
- Demonstrate excellent communications skills, both written and oral.
- Ideally, but not exclusively, a serving member of the RN (including RM) or the RNR/RMR.
- Able to represent the RNRU in engagement with stakeholders.
The selection process:
- Closing date for applications is 17 January 2014.
- Applications should be made in writing, via email, to The Secretary, Royal Navy Rugby Union, HMS TEMERAIRE, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2HB. Email address to be used is DESNBCD-RNRUSEC@mod.uk.
- Applications should include sufficient detail to explain an individual’s suitability for the role (CVs and covering letters are encouraged).
- Written applications will be considered by a panel formed from members of the Executive Committee of the RNRU; candidates may be invited to interview to constitute a second round of the selection process if deemed appropriate by the panel.
- It is intended to hold interviews in the forenoon of Wednesday 5 February 2014 and communicate a decision not later than Friday 7 February 2014. Please indicate on your application if you are unable to attend or foresee potential difficulties in attending on the planned date for interviews.