Director of Marketing Vacancy
RNRU - DIRECTOR OF MARKETING
The Royal Navy Rugby Union is seeking a suitably experienced candidate to fill the post of Director of Marketing in September 2014. This is a voluntary position.
The RNRU, as well as being a part of the Royal Navy, is a Constituent Body (CB) of the Rugby Football Union (RFU) and a registered charity. It is, therefore, charged with the management, administration, and development of the game of Rugby Union within the RN, in accordance with Service regulations and traditions, as well as in compliance with the requirements of the RFU and the regulatory framework for charities.
Our Vision is: To be fun, relevant and successful, inspiring players, coaches, officials, volunteers, and spectators to enjoy rugby at all levels from mess deck to international, wherever the RN goes, reflecting all that is best in the Service.
The strategy of the RNRU is founded in the recognition and identification of our many, and varied, stakeholders including (but not limited to): The Naval Service; The Charity Commission; Member Clubs; The Rugby Football Union (RFU); Sponsors. The RNRU’s Executive Committee has been re-structured to better deliver this strategy and to provide a broader effort on behalf of those stakeholders. In particular, this will involve a gradual shift of emphasis away from a focus on representative rugby (whilst seeking to maintain our hard-earned reputation for success), with greater investment in promoting participation and enjoyment of rugby across the Naval Service.
RNRU Director of Marketing
The Director of Marketing has a critical supporting and enabling role in securing income for the RNRU from sponsorship and merchandising. It is a role that requires both long-term planning and strategising, as well as detailed execution and delivery.
- A voting member of the RNRU Executive Committee.
- Co-ordination of RNRU marketing strategy: review; delivery; performance.
- Provide attractive, appropriate and rewarding sponsorship opportunities for appropriate sponsors
- Identify and acquire new sponsorship relationships
- Conduct contract negotiations with sponsors
- Working closely with other members of the Executive Committee in achieving the goals of the RNRU.
- Lead planner for Sponsors’ Dinner, Sponsors’ Supper, Mountbatten Festival of Music and Sponsors’ Golf Day.
- Co-ordination of sponsor attendance at RNRU ‘home’ fixtures and other unspecified events.
- Management of the RNRU Kit Contract and Merchandise Brand
- Budget holder for the annual Marketing Budget.
- Committed to Navy Rugby, and capable of supporting the RNRU through successful performance of the role of Director of Marketing.
- Ideally, but not exclusively, a serving member of the RN (including RM) or the RNR/RMR.
- Able to work collaboratively with all those involved in Navy Rugby.
- Willing and able to liaise widely across the Naval Service, as well as with RNRU stakeholders (in person as well as by other means).
- Demonstrable evidence of ability to operate at a strategic level: to formulate strategy, and to co-ordinate delivery and measurement of performance.
- Experience in marketing and/or sponsorship programmes and development is desirable.
The selection process
- Closing date for applications is Friday 22 August 2014.
- Applications should be made in writing, via email, to The RNRU Secretary. Email address to be used is firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Applications should include sufficient detail to explain an individual’s suitability for the role (CVs and covering letters are encouraged).
- Written applications will be considered by a panel formed from members of the Executive Committee of the RNRU; candidates may be invited to interview to constitute a second round of the selection process if deemed appropriate by the panel.
- It is intended to make an appointment not later than Friday 12 September 2014.