HMS Ocean RFC v HMS Bulwark RFC


HMS Ocean


HMS Bulwark

HMS Ocean and HMS Bulwark RFC’s Kicked off on a blustery day at 2pm, with Ocean initially struggling to get a side out Bulwark loaned a player across and all subs were deemed as subs for both side’s to ensure a game went ahead.

From the KO Ocean initially took control with Bulwark giving penalties away to lose territory, however classic simple mistakes by the Ocean side (dropped balls or mis-qued lineout throws) allowed Bulwark to get back into the game and find their rhythm (having not played since last year). Despite playing into the wind utilising a stronger pack which was winning ball against the head Bulwark moved the ball up field. With strong driving play by Henry Ford and Itchy Ball in the 2nd row the ball was moved through the hands to create a fine unconverted score for Andy Kirkaldy (0-5). From the KO again Bulwark took control of the game working there way forwards with strong running from both backs and forwards, from a scrum again the ball was shipped out with Jay Samuel following the play cut a great line to score in the left corner again unconverted (0-10). With Bulwark firmly in the driving seat Ocean did not let up still working hard to get into the game but from a breakdown near there line Mr B Bainitabua drove hard in from loose play and scored towards the right corner again unconverted in the difficult wind conditions (0-15). Into the final 10 mins of the half now and Bulwark were still looking to score with hard work from the front row turning over ball at the scrum Riggers Rigby cut a great line from fly half to score near the posts converting his own try (0-22). In the final few minutes of the half Danny “Clubz” Johnson put up a great chip over Oceans defensive line and mix up between the full back and wing allowed Luke to grab the last score of the match rewarding his defensive efforts from outside centre (0-27).

Second Half - Having made changes at half time Bulwark started in the same vain but the change of ends suited Ocean and they realised the at despite the score line there was not much between the teams and slowly started to get back into the game despite still struggling in the scrum Ocean now started to turn on the pressure causing Bulwark to give away penalties mainly playing in Bulwarks half Ocean got over the try line but were held up by Mr B Bainitabua and a full defensive effort by all members of the team. During one of these incursions into Bulwarks half, the Ocean turned the ball over which was swiftly kicked up field the resultant kick for touch was not long enough in the windy conditions and was collected in a fine leap over challengers by Meg Ryan who went onto score and convert Bulwarks only try of the second half (0-34). Again Ocean pushed forward and with the penalty count against Bulwark Itchy Ball was sin binned for an infringement at the ruck. Ocean again camped on Bulwark’s line but could not touch the ball down with there backs to the wall Bulwark wanted to keep Ocean out for an nil score and managed to do this throughout the sin bin time but in the last few minutes the ocean worked an overlap on the right hand side to score near the posts which was converted with the final kick of the game (7-34).

A good ships game played with the right attitude and for Bulwark showing the strength in depth with all the RM squad members away conducting training. A thank you goes out to the ref on the day and the IFT students, who helped out both sides.