HMS Monmouth v Plymouth Victoria RFC




Plymouth Victoria RFC

On Monday 15th December, an evening fixture was arranged between HMS MONMOUTH against local Plymouth club Plymouth Victoria RFC on the 3G pitch at Keyham. With this fine playing surface providing a feast of high tempo rugby recently, this fixture did not disappoint.

MONMOUTH may well have been lured into a false sense of security having claimed the first touchdown from the kick off with LH 'Peep' Pugh charging through the Plymouth Victoria defence before feeding AB Blake-Smith on his inside to go under the posts within ten seconds. If Plymouth Victoria had struggled to wake up in the warm up this must have been exactly what they needed as the rest of the half seemed to be dominated by them. With strong running from the outside backs and the No.8 ABD Humbers, accompanied with some handling errors from MONMOUTH helped Plymouth Victoria cross the white wash for five tries. The first half did close on a high for MONMOUTH with some slick handling despite the greasy ball they managed to claw a try back. With the score line reading 33-14 at the break some inspiring words from MONMOUTH captain PO 'Speedy' Carr were needed.

Those strong words did indeed play there part well as a much more disciplined and structured MONMOUTH team started dictating the game at the start of the second half. Some excellent phase play resulted in two tries for MONMOUTH and with the scores at 33-28 going into the last quarter of the match it was all to play for. The high tempo of the game was beginning to tell on both sides, the effort that went into the finish was a fine credit to both teams. MONMOUTH, still looking to work through the phases, was harshly dealt with by the rugby Gods as a ball that was looking to roll dead, shepherded by two MONMOUTH defenders, but was hunted down by the Plymouth Victoria winger who sacrificed the skin on his arms and legs to slide between them both to touch down the ball. MONMOUTH struck back almost immediately through an interception, which cancelled out the Plymouth Victoria try and with the added conversion brought the scores back to within three points. Plymouth Victoria did have the last celebration through another handling error and break away pushing the game beyond the MONMOUTH. Whilst continuing to play to the last whistle MONMOUTH were awarded a last minute penalty that again saw some strong spirited running on incredibly tired legs. The ball was unfortunately spilled before the Plymouth Victory fullback gathered and cleared for touch and the end of the match.

An entertaining end to end match that the MONMOUTH team can take great pride and a lot of encouraging points from. The final score 45-35 to Plymouth Victoria RFC

Team List
1. Carr
2. Pugh
3. Gorff
4. Warner
5. Malden
6. Andrews
7. Hobbs
8. Gritthis
9. Robertson
10. Ainsly
11. Leslie
12. Elliot
13. Rokobiau
14. Goode
15. Dan

16. Stephen
17. Malden
18. Williams
19. Amery